Remote Vehicle Interaction (RVI)

This proposal has been accepted as a session.


One Line Summary

RVI is an open source framework for connecting vehicles to cloud services and mobile devices that handles authentication, authorization, discovery of services and data exchange over any network topology.


A connected car platform that allows OEMs to easily enable value-added services themselves and through partners will benefit the ecosystem of their brands:

  • 80% of the connected car functionality is shared across platforms – Core in-vehicle telematics and cloud backend functionality are common in architecture and similar in implementation. The remaining 20% are the services that define the user experience.
  • A shared, open-source platform will benefit OEMs – A joint architecture and reference implementation allows OEMs to minimize cost, eliminated vendor dependencies and mitigate security risks allowing them to focus on applications and services that offer market differentiation.
  • A shared, open-source platform will enable service providers – Market adoption is key to success. To attract service providers the size of the ecosystem is of significance. A common architecture allows service providers to easily port their offerings to multiple OEMs, this giving them a diversified revenue stream from multiple vendors.
  • A shared, open-source platform will reduce time to market – Development cycles in the automotive industry are more than twice as long as the lifespan of the average startup company. To create an innovative and fast moving market place that allows young companies to develop in-vehicle apps and their corresponding backend services on an OEM-approved platform within weeks or months and showcase the product to the OEMs.

Remote Vehicle Interaction (RVI) is an open-source project initiated by Jaguar Land Rover and hosted by AGL with the objective to develop vendor-neutral telematics framework that can easily be adopted and extended:

  • Pluggable Architecture – The framework follows strict “design-to-the-interface” rules. The APIs are at the center. The reference implementation is an example albeit one that strives for production quality.
  • Device, service and connection agnostic – Devices shall be able to access services on other visible devices regardless of device operating system and whether a connection is made directly or via Internet.
  • Peer-to-peer based – Devices can access services via local networks without an Internet connection.
    Dynamic Provisioning – Nodes and services can be added to or removed from the system at runtime without relying on a centralized provisioning system.
  • Granular Authentication & Authorization – All authentication and authorization is done on the service level against certified credentials.
  • Service Discovery – Applications and services can discover and invoke other services.
    Low-overhead Invocation – Services can be remotely invoked over sparsely connected networks.

Presentation Materials



  • Rudi_2

    Rudolf Streif

    Jaguar Land Rover


    As an Infotainment Specialist for Jaguar Land Rover’s Open Source Technology Center Rudolf Streif applies open source software technology and engineering practices to next generation infotainment systems, enabling rapid development and new ecosystems.

    Prior to that, as the Linux Foundation’s Director of Embedded Solutions, Mr. Streif connected companies seeking to leverage Linux and open source for embedded product development with open source communities. He has created the Automotive Linux Summit an event that brings together the most innovative minds from automotive expertise with open source software excellence. He is leading the Linux Foundation’s Automotive Grade Linux collaboration project, an initiative to advance Linux and open source in the automotive industry.

    Mr. Streif is a seasoned software engineering / management executive with over 20+ years experience and expertise in embedded software and hardware engineering, product development, life-cycle management and organizational leadership. He held engineering management positions in various industries including automotive, IPTV/DVB digital television and industrial imaging. He has successfully leveraged the strengths of the Linux operating system and open source software for many demanding applications. Mr. Streif received B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering and MBA from the Technical University in Munich, Germany. He is a frequent speaker at various events on Linux, open source, automotive and telematics.